November 10, 2015

Kali Ma


KALI THE MOTHER

The stars are blotted out,
The clouds are covering clouds,
It is darkness vibrant, vocal.
In the roaring, whirling wind
Are the souls of a million lunatics
Just loose from the prison-house,
Wrenching trees by the roots,
Sweeping all from the path.
The sea has joined the fray, 
And swirls up mountain-waves, 
To reach the inky sky. 


The flash of lurid light 
Reveals on every side 
A thousand, thousand shades 
Of Death begrimed and black — 
Scattering plagues and sorrows, 
Dancing mad with joy, 
Come, Mother, come! 
For Terror is Thy name, 
Death is in Thy breath, 
And every shaking step 
Destroys a world forever. 


Thou Time, the All-Destroyer! 
Come, O Mother, come! 
Who dares misery love, 
And hug the form of Death, 
Dance in Destruction's dance, 
To him the Mother comes. 


- By Swami Vivekananda











Sri Ramakrishna describes his first vision of the Mother:
"I felt as if my heart were being squeezed like a wet towel. I was overpowered with a great restlessness and a fear that it might not be my lot to realize Her in this life. I could not bear the separation from Her any longer. Life seemed to be not worth living. Suddenly my glance fell on the sword that was kept in the Mother's temple. I determined to put an end to my life. When I jumped up like a madman and seized it, suddenly the blessed Mother revealed Herself. The buildings with their different parts, the temple, and everything else vanished from my sight, leaving no trace whatsoever, and in their stead I saw a limitless, infinite, effulgent Ocean of Consciousness. As far as the eye could see, the shining billows were madly rushing at me from all sides with a terrific noise, to swallow me up! I was panting for breath. I was caught in the rush and collapsed, unconscious. What was happening in the outside world I did not know; but within me there was a steady flow of undiluted bliss, altogether new, and I felt the presence of the Divine Mother." On his lips when he regained consciousness of the world was the word "Mother". http://www.belurmath.org/gospel/introduction.htm










"Every Manifestation of Power 
In the Universe is Mother.
She is Life."

- Swami Vivekananda












No comments: